Sunday, June 22, 2014

THE TURKEY ESCAPADE

They say everyone has their 15-minutes of fame.

Mine came and went a very long time ago. Actually, it was 1991 ago. The state newspaper was running an article in their weekly food issue on money saving ideas and sought submissions of proven methods for their story.
I thought I was just submitting my tried and true ideas. Before I knew it, I had my own by-line.
The newspaper sent their photographer to our home. Mother’s Little Helpers were also involved in the kitchen photo shoot.
My 15-minutes of fame?  A 10- lb turkey and dinners for a family of five.
There were other ideas in the article but the photographer seemed most intrigued on how to cut that turkey into sections and eat for a week. Mother’s Little Helpers were cute and well-behaved, but it was the turkey featured in the newspaper that next week.
Before I knew it, someone knew someone who knew someone (you know how that goes) and “Woman’s Day” magazine was calling on the phone! Then it was over. Poof! But to this day, whenever I cut a turkey into sections, I fondly remember that turkey escapade.
SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Stockpiling meat when on sale will save you future dollars. If you purchase meat when you “feel” like eating it, you will be paying top price and will be wasting dollars from your food budget.
                                          TURKEY WITH WINGS ON TOP
 
 WINGS REMOVED. SLICE ALONG EACH SIDE OF BREAST
 


                                        SIDE VIEW OF WHAT TURKEY LOOKS LIKE
                                                                                               

 
 
BEND TURKEY IN HALF TO CREATE TWO SECTIONS

 
CUT THE TURKEY INTO TWO SECTIONS


                                             PLACE A KNIFE ALONG THE TOP
                                    CUT ALONG THE BONE TO REMOVE MEAT

 
TWO SECTIONS OF BONELESS BREASTS

 
LEGS AND THIGHS AND WINGS CUT INTO SECTIONS

 

No comments:

Post a Comment