Monday, June 16, 2014

THE CUT-UP CHICKEN CAPER

An aspect of frugality that I enjoy is keeping money in my pocket by being my own butcher.

When I play pretend-butcher in my kitchen, I feel like Lucy Ricardo in her TV episode when she and her BFF, Ethel, work an assembly line in a candy factory.

I line up all my whole chickens on a cutting board. I take out a platter, another cutting board and a large bowl, along with a stock pot for bones and non-edible parts like wing tips.

Next, I sharpen my knife. With the trash can to left of me, chickens to the right... I'm stuck in the middle with "ewe" as the Mother's Little Helpers would groan at me.

If you do not like the feel of raw chicken, inexpensive plastic gloves can be purchased at your local dollar store and you can dispose them when done with the deboning.

Below is the best picture tutorial that I can offer on how to cut up a chicken. Save all parts! Nothing should go to waste except for the skin.

                                    THE WHOLE CHICKEN


                                            TAKE CHICKEN AND FLIP IT OVER


                               WINGS SHOULD NOW BE ON TOP, NOT ON BOTTOM
                                                    REMOVE WING AT JOINT

 
WINGS HAVE BEEN REMOVED

  
 
                  
 WITH KITCHEN SCISSORS OR A KNIFE, CUT OFF BACKBONE 



                                WHEN ONE SIDE IS OFF, SLICE DOWN THE OTHER
                                  


                                LAY OUT THE CHICKEN FLAT AND FIRMLY PRESS DOWN
                                            
 
SLICE DOWN THE MIDDLE 

                                    
 
DIVIDE THE HALVES INTO QUARTERS





                                        UNDERNEATH THE BREAST IS THE TENDER


 
TWO BONELESS BREASTS, TWO LEGS, TWO WINGS

 
TWO THIGHS

 
The backbone, the rib cages and the wing tips go into a stock pot for soup!
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment