Friday, May 16, 2014

NONA'S WAFFLE MIX

When Mother’s Little Helpers were young and living at home, I would make a large container of pancake/waffle mix. Aunt Jemima and Hungry Jack box mixes were labeled “add only milk” or “add egg and water”. Wasn’t that what my pre-made mix required? I was paying money for a box when the ingredients were in my pantry!

Once all the ingredients were mixed into the large container, the contents were divided into smaller packets. I would create my own labels and store my packages in a decorated box stored on my pantry shelf. Right there next to the homemade corn muffin mixes.

As I was strolling down the aisles of CVS one weekend with my 25% OFF coupon, I found a waffle iron that made animal shaped waffles. I already had two waffles irons but this wagon red waffle iron tugged at my heart. You see, over the years, the family has expanded by a few new family members. They are all under the age of three.

The only rationale to purchase the wagon red waffle iron that made animal shaped waffles was Grandmother’s Little Helpers and my coupon. That was reason enough for me. It sits upright on my shelf next to the adult looking circular waffle iron. One waffle iron was donated to a Mother’s Little Helper. Three waffle irons would be a bit excessive even by my frugal standards!

Nona’s Waffle Mix

§  2 cups flour

§  4 tsp baking powder

§  2 TBS sugar

§  1 tsp salt

That is the original recipe, but I eliminate the salt. Baking powder contains sodium. Adjust to your needs. I use a fraction of sugar as in the recipe. I whisk and divide the mixture in half and store in air-tight plastic bags. When ready to use, I add ¾ cup milk or buttermilk, one egg and 3 TBS of melted butter. If you are making the entire batch, double the wet ingredients. Pour batter in a pre-heated waffle iron until crisp and ready to serve. Leftovers freeze well and when ready to serve, reheat in your toaster!

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Real syrup is real expensive. Alternate toppings to syrup include jams, fresh fruit, a drizzle of honey or a dollop of whipped topping or all of the above!




 

No comments:

Post a Comment