Tuesday, May 20, 2014

MUCH ADO ABOUT SOMETHING

Roughly seven years ago, coworkers clued me in to the strategic way to use credit cards to collect points. When a designated credit card accumulates a certain number of points, the points could be converted into a gift card. The selection of gift cards varies from movie theaters, gas, hotels, retail or grocery stores and restaurants.

I have this type of credit card. Every December, I check to see how many points have been accumulated over the course of the year. Some years, I have accumulated enough points for a $50 gift card and some years a $100 gift card!

The gift card that I would purchase would be to any store that sold groceries, with Target and Walmart being my “go to” gift cards.

When I had a month that I was short on money but long on month, I’d pull out my emergency gift card to supplement my budget for the remainder of the month. Usually, it was a month with 5 weeks and I’d only budgeted for 4 weeks. I may need only $10 or $20, but it was a great resource to have and to use when I needed it.

Another source of discounted gift cards would come through Groupon. I’ve been able to purchase $20 cards for $10. I have not tried Gift Card Granny yet, but I understand one can buy and sell discounted gift cards through that website.

When using my credit card, much like food, I want to be able to get the most from it.

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Familiarize yourselves with the benefits of a customer appreciation store card.  For example, with a Kroger store card, the grocery store will reward 4X points towards fuel when purchasing gift cards during special promotions. Combining customer appreciation card with a credit card that rewards with points is much ado about something!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment