Friday, May 2, 2014

IT'S NOT JUST FOR BREAKFAST

Do you remember your favorite reason for eating cereal as a child? Was it the games on the back of the box? Was it for the prize that may be inside the box?  Was it the combination of flavors?

My dad is a big Kellogg’s Corn Flakes fan and had been for years until he discovered Raisin Bran Flakes. You get the theme, he likes those flakes.

For Mother’s Little Helpers, they would go through cereal mood swings. The youngest of Mother’s Little Helper enjoyed two types of cereals. One he would classify as “healthy” to be eaten at breakfast and one that he would consider as snack food, such as anything “chocolate” mixed with milk. 

On the other hand, I was not a cereal fan as a child. Breakfast foods just were not appealing to me.

However, as a frugal mother, with the price of cereal escalating, I want to get the most out of those cereal boxes. Over the years, I’ve found some tasty cereals but my favorite part is the wax liner!

Your eyes are not playing tricks on you. Those wax liners are money in my pocket! When the box is empty, I rinse the liners to remove all the crumbs. Then, I open the liner at the seams to lay flat. Once dry, I fold the flat piece of wax paper and store it in my pantry.

When I need to use wax paper, I pull out my cereal liners!

They can be used to pound chicken breasts thin. I have used them between layers of homemade hamburgers or “sliced at home” pork chops to store in the freezer. When breading fish or chicken, I sprinkle bread crumbs on the wax paper as I find it easier than working in a bowl. If I have the need to wrap and freeze, I will first wrap in the cereal wax liner.

The wax paper liners can be confiscated from boxes of crackers and cake mixes giving you a variety of sizes from which to choose!

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: I subscribe to the local newspaper on weekends. Before recycling the paper, I will save a few sections. First, wrap freezer items in wax paper or clear plastic wrap and surround the outer layer with newspaper wrap to protect from freezer burn. It is cheaper than using aluminum foil and I like the concept of paying once and using something twice!
                                                             CLEAN CEREAL LINERS
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment