Friday, April 11, 2014

THE HABITS OF A SQUIRREL

Hidden in the top drawer of my mother’s mahogany dresser was a book of envelopes wrapped in a rubber band. Each envelope had a purpose…dry cleaners, shoe repair, etc. It wasn’t until I was a pre-teen and old enough to walk to the dry cleaners did I learn of its existence.

Mom gave me specific directions to her secret stash of cash. Go upstairs. Open the top drawer on the left. In the right-hand corner, take $5 from the envelope marked “dry cleaners” emphasizing it had to be the “dry cleaners” envelope.

By day, mom was a bookkeeper and she worked in ledgers at work. Back at home, spare cash was stashed in her secret envelopes.

Like the squirrel that would store up nuts for winter, mom would store up unspent money to be used for her “wants”. My parents didn’t discuss money with their Little Helpers. We learned by observation, some of us were better observers than others.

As I became the money manager of my household, the envelope system would be too much of a temptation for me. Instead, I used my old high school loose leaf binder to make my bookkeeping ledger.

Every paycheck was assigned to a variety of accounts. Any unspent money at the end of the month was squirreled away for another day. Mother’s Little Helpers were taught about managing money as they had jobs to support their “needs”, which I perceived as their “wants”.

I tried a Mason jar approach for their savings. It was in my dresser too. To this day, in the middle drawer on the right side of the dresser rests an empty Mason jar. Someday, it will be passed down so the great grandchildren of my mother will learn about the habits of a squirrel.

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: If you have any money left over in your accounts at the end of the month, zero out your accounts and transfer the money to your own squirrel fund. Amounts of $2 will grow to $5 and eventually you will have money to spend on your own “wants” or have a pool of money for an unexpected rainy day emergency!
                                                        Some favorite uses of Mason Jars
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment