Tuesday, April 29, 2014

A VERSATILE SAUCE

Butter. Flour. Stock. Milk. Pepper. Parmesan Cheese. There you have it, Alfredo Sauce.

Need to flavor it up? Add some garlic while melting the butter and you now have Garlic Infused Alfredo Sauce.

Need to incorporate a vegetable? Include sliced mushrooms or cooked broccoli. Now you have an Alfredo Sauce for a chicken or turkey tetrazzini dinner or a broccoli/penne pasta dinner.

It’s a sauce that takes only a few minutes to make from the ingredients in your pantry.

Yet on a recent trip to the grocery store, I spotted an ad for Alfredo sauce. It was on sale for $1.99 a jar but if you purchased four specially marked items, the cost would be reduced to $0.99 a jar. Tempting offer, but that’s still $4.00 added to my budget when I have the ingredients [bought and paid for] sitting on shelves in my pantry.

In all honesty, the only way this would entice me to purchase four jars of sauce would be if I had coupons to reduce the price. Then the decision would be to weigh my time to make the jar of sauce against cost. In the past, I have gotten that cost down to $0.20 each. For that amount, I’ve purchased the pre-made sauce. Even the cashier was impressed with the final cost!

If I can find some coupons while the sale is ongoing, it would be worth reconsidering my decision. Until then, that money will be staying in my budget and not in the cashier’s drawer.

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Save empty jars of sauce and use them for your homemade sauces. You’ve already paid for the jar and some are really quite decorative. An Alfredo sauce can be made in advance and stored in the refrigerator for a couple of days when ready to use for dinner. If too thick, thin it out with either stock or milk when reheating.

Having your own pre-made sauces in the refrigerator is frugal in saving time and money when you need a fast pasta meal after you arrive home late from work or a child’s sporting event. Pass by all those drive-thru restaurants. Have a healthy family meal at home and save money!
 


                                                    HOMEMADE ALFREDO SAUCE

 
SLICED FRESH MUSHROOMS

 

No comments:

Post a Comment