Monday, April 21, 2014

HUNGRY MAN DINNER

Traveling this week and visiting family. To save money on food and dining, I packed the large Coleman cooler with freezer items and leftovers from the refrigerator. Old Mother Hubbard knew her youngest Mother’s Little Helper, now a grown man has a cupboard which would be bare compared to mine.

Yes, there are grocery stores where I am visiting but sales prices could not match what I already had in my freezer. The cooler was packed with pork chops, chicken tenders, chicken breasts and ground chuck. With one night for dining out, that would cover us for the week.

There's an Aldi’s in town and I was able to stock up on perishable items while here, although their sale items were twenty cents more expensive here than back home.

The plan was my go to “cook once, eat twice” method of cooking. By cooking two extra pork chops and extra rice, the leftovers would transition nicely into pork fried rice later in the week. Or so I thought.

There was one flaw in my plan that time and distance had erased from my mind. My youngest Mother’s Little Helper is a grown “hungry man” and there was a reason why there were not many leftovers in my refrigerator when he was living at home.

I forgot to label my leftovers “do not eat” and consequently, this morning there were no leftovers left in the refrigerator. But that’s okay. It kept money in his pocket where he did not have to drive out and use gas for a quick bite to eat for a meal that was not going to be nearly as good as mother’s home cooking!

SOUNG THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: When traveling, pack your own breakfast items and snacks so that you are not caught spending expensive vacation dollars on these items. Juice boxes and bottled water in a small lunch box cooler will be a savings instead of feeding dollar bills into vending machines!
                                              RICE-A-RONI without sodium flavorings

 
RICE PUDDING WITH LEFTOVER RICE

 

No comments:

Post a Comment