Thursday, July 3, 2014

ONE SHELL OF A MEAL


There are fewer things more exciting to a frugal shopper than a great deal.

Several months ago, I found boxes and boxes of Pepperidge Farm Puff Pastry Shells marked down to 99 cents a box. They were a fraction of their regular price of nearly $4 a box.

These boxes contained six puff pastry shells in each box. Doing some fast short division from my parochial school days, I quickly decided that would be too good of a deal to pass up.

Featured on the box was a luscious berry dessert with whipped topping.

I bought three boxes, wishing I had room in my freezer for more. With summertime coming, those pastry shells would make a great receptacle for blueberries and strawberries.

So much for good intentions.

Instead, I had a turkey breast. I divided it into two sections. Cook once, eat twice!

One half of the breast was prepared as a glazed apricot turkey breast.
I decided to chop the other cooked half into small cubes. I went to my freezer a found a bag of mixed frozen vegetables. Meshed with a can of cream of mushroom soup, this would be the makings of a delicious turkey pot pie.

I didn’t want to heat the oven on a summer Sunday morning to make a turkey pot pie. Feeling a bit pressed for time, I didn’t want to make a pie crust either. Then I remembered my puff pastry shells in the freezer.  Instructions read: baked while frozen! I baked the shells, assembled the pot pie mixture inside the shells and covered them with the little pastry lid carved from the top of the shells.

Spending less than $5, I was able to prepare a dozen shells which were divided amongst 5 adults. Now that’s one (s)hell of a frugal meal!

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Jumbo pasta shells are another great vesicle for using leftovers and creating a delicious meal. Ground cooked turkey or beef with tomato sauce or chopped chicken/turkey with an Alfredo sauce and you have elegant leftovers and satisfied diners!


 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment