Tuesday, October 7, 2014

RIP VAN BUGLE

I just can’t recall the last time it happened.

First, I slept through the night. Honestly, sleep for me is a series of long naps but not this night.
At the end of the series of these naps, I ready myself for work and seemingly perform well enough for eight or more hours. Returning home, I repeat the series of long naps. Night after night. Lather, rinse, repeat.

It’s a skill that has come 30 years too late. As a young mother raising three Mother’s Little Helpers, sleep deprivation was a way of life. By 2PM, I found myself asleep at the wheel. I could not survive the day without a 20 minute power-nap in the carpool lane.

Some mothers would arrive early to get a “good spot” in the car pool line. My motivation was solely to build in nap time.

A few nights back, sleep was long and it was constant. There were no interruptions with the exception of one unusual dream sequence that woke me up. When I turned to the clock, the realization hit like a ton of sheep.

This was a nightmare. I overslept on a day when it was critical to be to work on time.

Sixty minutes was a lot of time to shave off the morning routine. Instead of being out the door, I was just getting out of bed. I had but a minute to devote to “what to wear” and “what to pack” in my lunch box. Not nearly enough time but somehow got it done.

It must be true when they say "you snooze, you ......." as 35 minutes of the day were lost to oversleeping. The routine of long naps resumed promptly that night putting an end to my Rip Van Bugle nights.

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Don’t let a crisis like this cost you money. With this experience, I could have used it as an excuse to purchase breakfast at the drive-thru and lunch at the nearby restaurant and watch $10 exit my wallet. Instead, rely on “grab-n-go” foods or a pre-made sandwich from the freezer to toss into your lunch box before heading out the door!
                                   "Grab and Go" Breakfast and Lunch
 

No comments:

Post a Comment