Tuesday, September 16, 2014

NO CANDLES ON THE CAKE

One day, I read a quote “age is something that doesn’t matter, unless you are a cheese”.  It came from Billie Burke who was Glinda, the good witch, of Wizard of Oz fame.

What does aging have to do with a frugal blog? Age matters in my frugal world.

Children eat free at some restaurants if they are 10 and under. When Mother’s Little Helpers were young, it was such a treat to eat at a restaurant where the children ate for free.

Prices on menus went up once Mother’s Little Helpers turned 10 years of age. The children’s menu was for “10 and under”. The selections must not have been too appealing as often the words “can we order off the adult menu” were heard around the table.

Each of Mother’s Little Helpers had plans made well in advance on how and when to begin celebrating their 21st birthday. Would someone like to explain to a 21 year old that age doesn’t matter? I didn’t think so.

On the other end of the life cycle, I find age matters once again as one gets older.

Senior days! Senior discounts! Senior living! The definition of “senior” varies anywhere from 55 to 65 years and above.

My favorite age-related discount is at the grocery stores. Several where I shop offers  5% discount on a specific day of the week to a shopper 60 years of age and older. By virtue of one’s age, a discount is given to the shopper. No coupon required!

When Mother’s Little Helpers were younger, I avoided the grocery stores on Wednesdays. Now, I eagerly look forward to them.

I have begun a “to do” list for when I become a senior. And yes, being at the grocery store on Wednesday is top on my list!

SOUND THE BULGE! Today’s tip: Submit your email address to local eating establishments and you may find freebies coming to your inbox for your birthday! If you don’t want to have your inbox filled with such announcements, seek out restaurants that will provide you a free meal on your birthday by just showing your driver’s license. Bon appetite!




No comments:

Post a Comment