Friday, December 5, 2014

TUNNEL VISION

Several years ago, Old Mother Frugal began having problems with vision. It began as glasses with a single lens but quickly evolved to multi-focal lens without a stop-over at bifocals.

Glasses created a sense of tunnel vision. Seeing straight ahead took practice and there was a loss of peripheral vision. It caused me to miss some things or to completely turn my head to view something in my line of sight.

Recently, I spent a week at the home of one of Mother’s Little Helpers. I packed my pink cooler bag with groceries from my freezer and relied on local stores to supplement my food items for the week.

While shopping, I found a bag of frozen vegetables called “California Blend”.

It was a 24 oz bag for $1.00 of frozen broccoli, cauliflower and carrots at Dollar Tree. Dinner that night was pork fried rice and all I needed were carrots. So, I bought the medley of vegetables for $1.00.

Upon arriving back to the house, I separated the vegetables into their own Ziploc bags using only the carrots for my fried rice dinner and freezing the cauliflower and broccoli.

This turned out so well that I will visit my local Dollar Tree for bags of “California Blend” frozen vegetables. The 24 oz bag is larger and more economical than the 10oz or 16 oz boxes sold by the name-brand vegetable manufacturers. I can sort similar vegetables into their own freezer bags and use as needed.

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip: Looking at a food item such as a vegetable medley is a great way to use what you need and not overbuy an item that you don’t need. Avoid tunnel vision when shopping and try this tip to get the most for your money!





 

No comments:

Post a Comment