Monday, July 20, 2015

THE DEVIL IS IN THE DETAILS

During one of Old Mother Frugal’s excursions to the local Goodwill Store, there were several, nearly-new looking Dirt Devil vacuum cleaners on the showroom floor.

The one that caught my attention was missing the brush attachment.

For the price of $9.97, and in excellent condition, it was hard to walk away from the vacuum cleaner. A quick search online indicated a replacement part would cost about $8.00. If purchased new, this vacuum was a fraction of its original price.

After making sure it was in working order and thoughtful consideration, in short order it was in the back of my car.

I’ve been burned in the past, purchasing a previously owned appliance without all its pieces because replacement parts were either impossible to purchase or very expensive. This time, the unexpected happened before I had the chance to order the replacement part.

Several hundred miles away in another state, while at a recycling bin, I saw what looked to be a vacuum cleaner brush lying on the ground adjacent to the recycling bin. I had to adjust my Granny spectacles to view this spectacle.

The brush attachment needed for the Dirt Devil vacuum was at the tip of my toe! Excited by this discovery, I quickly snatched up my treasure, examined it and brought it home.

A brush of kindness from an unknown stranger and this free, very clean vacuum cleaner brush attachment sits on my Goodwill Dirt Devil vacuum cleaner.

 

SOUND THE BUGLE! Today’s tip:  Before I purchase a used appliance, I check its condition [clean, excellent or good]; it must work and it must have all its parts or the part can be purchased at a reasonable price. Some older “vintage” appliances parts have been discontinued making unusable your “new” older appliance.
 
                                   DIRT DEVIL FEATHERLITE BAGLESS VACUUM


 

No comments:

Post a Comment