Sunday, March 1, 2015

RUB-A-DUB FLUB

Calling out Old Mother Frugal’s February grocery spending for what it has been…a total flub.

The ability to limit the money in my grocery budget this month was an epic fail.

So what happened??

First, I found savings of unused money in my gas account. This, combined with room in my freezer and some spectacular meat sale prices, sent me stockpiling and spending.

After the Super Bowl, I found deeply discounted hams, whole chickens, flat iron steaks and sausage. All items were significantly below my price point. Had I waited until I needed those items, I would have had to pay full sale price. Sale prices, as with “everyday prices” of meat, have escalated in recent months with projections of this trend continuing into the year.

Net weight on some items is shrinking which means less meat for the “sale price”. The rotisserie chicken on sale at $4.98 weighs 29 ounces. That chicken is less than 2 lbs.

My benchmark for whole chickens is between .95 - .99/lb. When I see them at .65/lb, it is time to stock-up. Some are left whole for roasting while others are sectioned into eight piece parts. Backbones and rib cages are saved for soup. This is a “bonus” meal for the family.

When buying a whole chicken at .99/lb, my cost of $4.98 will be a roaster that is 5 lbs in weight and not 29 ounces. In the span of one hour, a roasted chicken is ready for the dinner table.

At the end of the month, a combination of coupons and sale prices on canned vegetables caused a spending spree for Old Mother Frugal’s cupboards with tomatoes, green beans and corn.

Marching into the new month the new goal is to stock up some dollar bills instead of food, for the next time an unexpected sale comes along!

SOUND THE BULGE! Today’s tip: One of Mother’s Helpers loves rubs. He uses them on pork and poultry alike. Due to the high content of sodium in many pre-packaged rubs, consider scouring the internet for home-made rub recipes to marinate and flavor meat. The spice ingredients are in your pantry, saving you the expense of finding a pre-packaged product to purchase. Eliminate the salt for a sodium-free rub. Double or triple the recipe to have on hand for another meal.



 

No comments:

Post a Comment